The port of Bristol Authority finally closed the dock in 1992. 26 Modern Marina development edit portishead Marina much of the growth of Portishead's population can be attributed to the development of the former docks. The former deep-water dock, used to supply coal and goods to the power save stations, has been fully redeveloped into a modern marina with 250 pontoon berths. 27 The areas on each side of the marina, formerly occupied by the two power stations and chemical plant, have been redeveloped to provide a wide range of housing, from town houses to social housing to exclusive flats. Development has also completed on the portbury Ashlands to the east of the harbour (so-called because they were the dumping ground for power station waste) extending the area of the town further towards Portbury. 28 Next to the Ashlands development lies Portbury Ashlands Nature reserve. This waterfront development is now known as Port Marine. The area has varied styles of housing, including an area built in the style of a fishing village, which is modelled on the cornish seaside town of Polperro with narrow streets and multi-coloured houses.
24 The site is now home to portishead volunteer coastguard. 25 Closure of the dock and associated facilities edit The onset of new generating capacity at Pembroke (oil-fired) and Didcot (coal-fired) in the mid-1970s brought about the closure dissertation of the older, less efficient "A" Station. One generator (500 MW) of four at each of the new power stations had almost the same output of both Portishead Stations combined A" Station 200 mw, "B" Station 360 MW). The newer of the two power stations B" Station) was converted to burn oil when the somerset coalfields closed. 17 The two radstock pits ceased production in September 1973 and the last train load of coal departed on 16 november 1973. The price of oil rose steeply in the 1970s (see 1973 oil crisis and 1979 oil crisis ) and the two power stations were little used after these events. Portishead "A" power station was closed in 1976; and the first of its two chimney stacks, a landmark, was demolished in September 1981, followed by the second in August 1982. 17 Portishead "B" power station closed in 1982 and both of its 383 feet (117 m) stacks were demolished in October 1992. 17 Industrial activities ceased at the dock with the closure of the power stations.
22 The Clevedon to portishead extension opened on 22 The line closed on was then dismantled by the gwr. 21 22 Albright and Wilson edit In 1951, Albright and Wilson built a chemical works on the opposite side of the dock from the power stations. The chemical works produced white phosphorus from phosphate rock imported, through the docks, into the. 23 Phosphate rock was stored in concrete silos on the dockside until it was required. Electricity provided by the local power stations was used to run six.5 megawatt electric arc furnaces (45 MW total) that reduced the phosphate rock. The phosphorus was then moved in sealed railway tanks to Oldbury and to kirkby. After the closure of the factory the decontamination included the removal of yellow (spontaneously combustible) and red allotropes of phosphorus.
Feasibility Study On poultry farming, for Beginners
15 17 The power stations became part of the nationalised electricity industry after 1949, and were operated in turn by the British Electricity authority, the central Electricity authority and the cegb. They used some local coal produced in the somerset coalfield, which was delivered by train along the portishead branch of the Great Western railway (GWR). The line had opened on the Bristol and Portishead pier and railway company; it opened to the dock on 13 The main supply of coal was imported by boat from Newport and Ely in south Wales ; it was carried by Osborn wallis of Bristol. 18 railways edit railway map from 1914 Portishead had two passenger stations on the gwr's Portishead branch line. The main station was near the centre of the village of Portishead, as it was then; the other was at the pier. 19 The construction of Portishead "B" power station caused the original railway station to be demolished and a replacement station was opened in the high Street on 19 The new station closed on 7 September 1964. The majority of the line was reopened in 2002, to transport goods from the royal Portbury dock.
A new junction was created, 3 miles life (4.8 km) from Portishead station, and a new goods line built from there essay to the royal Portbury dock. There is a campaign group aimed at reopening the station and the short stretch of unopened line. 20 In 2009 a report by the Association of Train Operating Companies stated that the portishead branch was a special case for future consideration of reopening due to the large projected increase in population and congestion in the area. Portishead also had a second, short-lived, railway line: the weston, Clevedon and Portishead railway. 21 22 It ran between Weston-super-Mare and Clevedon as a standard railway line, and between Clevedon and Portishead as a light railway.
The expansion in residential property coincided with the construction of the dock, pier and the rail link to Bristol. 6 The royal Hotel by the pier was built in a tudor Gothic style in 1830, 12 to provide accommodation and catering for travellers on the steamers from Bristol, wales and Ireland. 6 Portishead dock edit The Act of Parliament governing the enclosure of Portishead was passed in 1814, and stipulated the right to a public wharf, although there is historical evidence of nautical connections dating back to the patent Rolls of 1331. 5 Around the 1860s, at the height of the iron and steel era, a pier and a deep-water dock were built by the Bristol portishead pier and railway to accommodate the large ships that had difficulty in reaching Bristol Harbour. 13 14 They brought valuable cargoes from across the globe and exported local products overseas. Ships carrying coal were commonplace in Portishead Docks.
S Portishead Dock was acquired by Bristol Corporation, and was subsequently managed as part of the port of Bristol until its closure. 16 Portishead power stations edit The portishead power stations were coal-fed power stations built next to the dock. Construction work started on Portishead "A" power station in 1926. It began generating electricity in 1929 for the Bristol Corporation's Electricity department. 15 17 In 1937 its original six short chimney stacks were replaced by a 350 ft (110 m) high stack. 17 A second 350 ft (110 m) stack was added when the power station was expanded in 1948. 15 Construction of Portishead "B" power station began in 1949; it became operational in 1955.
Difference between a feasibility Study
8 A fort was built on Battery point, 6 and was used during the English civil War when the town supported the royalists, but surrendered to fairfax in 1645. 10 11 Guns were also placed at Battery point during World essay War. 6 The king road was the site of a naval action in 1758 when hms antelope captured hms belliqueux, one of a french squadron returning from quebec. 8 The steamer pier from the royal Hotel A mill was built on Welhay stream but this was replaced by tidal mills. In the 17th century the city of Bristol bought the manors of North Weston and Portishead for access to the channel and as a place to stay outside of the city and, in the 19th century, as a seaside resort. An outer sea wall was built allowing the local marshes to be drained and increased the land available for farming. 6 The dominant architecture is early victorian, with some buildings maintaining their original features.
In 1621 the Bristol Corporation purchased large portions of land in Portishead and revived the manor court. The rights of the corporation over the manor was disputed but they held it business until 1836 when they sold it for 8,050. 8 The parish of Portishead was part of the portbury hundred. 9 The town was built on the mouth of a small tributary of the severn Estuary near the mouth of the river avon. The old pill or jetty provided protection for craft against the Bristol Channel 's large tidal range, 6 and iron rings can be seen in the high street at which fishing boats used to moor. Its position meant Portishead was used to guard the "King road as the waters around the headland are called. In 1497 it was the departure point for John Cabot on the matthew.
sites that have been identified include a 1,200 by 600 feet (370 by 180 m) site that was successively occupied by the romans, Britons and Danes. 7 There is some evidence that it may have been the western end of the wansdyke, an early medieval or possibly roman boundary with a series of defensive linear earthworks extending to the savernake forest near Marlborough in Wiltshire. 8 After the norman conquest the manor was held by the bishop of coutances and later reverted to the crown, after which William ii gave it to a merchant from Bristol known as Harding and then to his son Robert Fitzharding who became lord. The berkeley family held it for generations until it passed by marriage to the cokes of Holkham in Norfolk. In the 14th century it belonged to everard le Frenshe.
British Telecom (BT) for non-direct dialled calls to maritime vessels, a service known. The town's population is expanding, and Portishead is now primarily a dormitory town for, bristol and its environs, although a range of service industries has grown. The headquarters of both. Avon and Somerset Constabulary and, avon Fire Brigade are in homework Portishead. Contents, history edit, the name portishead derives from the "port at the head of the river". It has been called Portshead and Portschute at times in its history and Portesheve in the. Domesday book, and was locally known as Posset.
Business Plan Nigeria - to, write feasibility, study
Portishead /pɔrtɪshɛd/ is a coastal town on the. Severn Estuary, close to, bristol, but within the unitary authority of, north Somerset, which falls within the ceremonial county of, somerset, england. It has a population of around 22,000, an increase of over 3,000 since the 2001 census, 3 with a growth rate considerably in excess of surrounding towns. 4, by the time of the 2011 Census the population had increased to approximately 24,000. Portishead essay has a long history as a fishing port. As a royal Manor it expanded rapidly during the early 19th century around the docks, with supporting transport infrastructure. A power station and chemical works were added in the 20th century, but the dock and industrial facilities have since closed and been redeveloped into a marina and residential areas. Portishead was also the telephone control centre used.